Top Weight-Loss Sites

Saturday 24 March 2012

The Uphill Struggle to Stay Fit



The struggle to stay fit. First a definition of the word struggle, here are two definitions from Dictionary.com:

1. to contend with an adversary or opposing force.
2. to contend resolutely with a task, problem, etc.; strive:

I’m going to go with the first definition, as in my case the adversary or opposing force is me.

I hope this blog becomes a shared journey between myself and readers in trying to overcome the difficulties of staying fit, which for me is primarily trying to achieve a healthy weight.

Just so you get an idea of the challenge I face, my stats are: age 51, height, 5’ 8”, weight 13 stones (82.6Kg) and my Body Mass Index is just north of 26.  This may not sound a huge problem, but family history of heart disease means achieving a healthy weight, through staying fit, could mean a longer life.

What do I hope to achieve with this blog? I want to achieve my target BMI and then keep it, so for me the struggle will be ongoing.

The ideal way to overcome the struggle to stay fit is to join a gym. But, have you seen the costs lately, in the UK prices are around £30-£60 per month (US $45 to $100). When prices keep going north and my salary is subject to a freeze, actually frozen for the past 3 years, joining a gym is one luxury I can’t have so I don’t worry about giving it up.
                                                    
Then there is the option of bringing the gym to your house. Buying a running machine, bench press or a cross trainer can be a cost effective option to joining a gym. If you have any have any of these at home, when was the last time you used any of them?

I had the cross trainer. Its first home was the dining room, and then it got relegated to the garage where it got used say, once every two weeks and then once month. In the end I had to get rid of it because it took up too much space.  This means I’m still on the Holy Grail for the solution to stay fit.

Who knows whether the creation of this blog is the first step on the journey to beat the struggle to stay fit for me or you?

Next update, 28 March 2012

Pythian.

No comments:

Post a Comment